March 12, 2020

Some great photos of Eugene Opera rehearsing in our hall!


Meet Damien Geter

Portland-based bass-baritone Damien Geter makes his Eugene Opera debut in Tosca
Why do you think Tosca has been so popular for so long? What about it do you think stands the test of time?
There are certain elements in opera that make them timeless and relatable. Even though the stories are sometimes outrageous, audiences connect with the visceral emotion of the characters, the drama, and of course, the music. To put it plainly, Puccini knew how to write a melody.

Describe the show in 3 words?
Passion, murder, obsession.
What is your favorite moment to perform from the show? Why?

Well, I only sing in the beginning, but someday I hope to sing Scarpia. As for Angelotti, everyone remembers him since he sings first and has some good moments of real singing. Even though the part is small, it showcases the singer in a nice way.

What’s the most rewarding part of being in this show?
I've never been in Tosca, so I'm looking forward to getting to know it more.

What made you want to pursue a career in opera?
I sang as a child. I never thought I'd be an opera singer until my professor in college encouraged me. I really love opera. It's so vulnerable for all involved and is a wonderful conglomeration of all the arts.

What was the first opera you ever saw? Do you remember how the experience made you feel?
The first thing that was close to an opera that I saw was The Mikado. I don't remember much from it except I thought it was very colorful. The first REAL opera that I saw was Elektra believe it or not. That's when I thought… hm.. this is really something special.
Sunday night, the entire cast and chorus had their "room run" rehearsal. The room run is the final rehearsal before the show moves to the Hult Center for tech, costumes and full dress. 
March 13 and 15, 2020, Eugene Opera presents Giacomo Puccini's Tosca, a masterwork of the romantic Italian repertoire, at Silva Hall. The opera will transport you to 1940's Italy, where political unrest is brewing. The soaring melodies and rich orchestra scoring evoke the lengths to which one woman will go to save the man she loves.